bicycle has been updated - click
here for the earlier version
to the Takara
Replaced fork with Tange unit from a fellow BOB member. I did this
mainly to get away from the .833" stem and use a standard 1" stem.
Not as much rake as the stock fork but not bad. It handles very
- Stem is a Nitto Dirt Drop from another BOB member
- Bars are 3TTT Mercx, 44cm. (Probably will be replaced by Nitto
B115's, 45cm soon).
- Shimano 105 levers from yet another BOB list member. It needed
new hoods, and when the LBS couldn't help out, Harris Cyclery had
- New Tange headset
- Cateye black cloth tape.
- Terry Fly saddle. On other bikes this worked well but on this
bike the jury's still out.
- Went back to the original 27" wheels. Araya 27 x 1 1/4 aluminum
rims, Sanshin high-flange hubs (these spin so nicely I didn't bother
to repack them). Original Maeda 13-34 5-speed freewheel. Performance
GT-2 27 x 1 1/4 tires. The tires are certainly satisfactory for
the price. In the future I think I'm going with Pasela's however.
you can see we loaded it up and pulled a trailer full of camping
stuff (for the family) on pavement, dirt and gravel roads. It handled
very nicely and didn't flex/twist under the load. It feels heavy
to lift it but it's not noticed riding. I'll be riding this for